If you’ve watched “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”, you’re probably familiar with the “Korean yogurt smoothie” which was mentioned by Peter Kavinsky several times throughout the movie. Yakult is a famous Asian drink which originated in Japan back in 1930’s. It was founded by scientist Dr. Minoru Shirota when he identified a strain of lactic acid bacteria that aids digestion. He originally called it Lactobacillus casei Shirota (LcS), which is now the main ingredient to the probiotic drink.
Don’t get me wrong- Yakult already tastes amazing alone, but here are 5 easy Yakult recipes that everyone should definitely try:
1. Iced Strawberry with Yakult
All you need for this recipe are four things: five fresh strawberries, half a can of 330ml lemon and lime-flavored soft drink or sprite, crushed ice, and two bottles of Yakult. But if you want to turn this to an alcoholic drink, Soju would be the best option. This recipe is good for one glass (16oz).
– Start off by dicing the strawberries into small pieces
– After putting the diced strawberries, fill the glass with crushed ice.
– Pour the Sprite and Yakult. Make sure to stir before enjoying your drink.
2. Yakult Milkshake
This recipe is inspired by the Booky Guide. All you need is 4-5 bottles of Yakult, crushed ice, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or any ice cream of your choice. This recipe is good for one glass (16oz).
– Put the crushed ice into a blender.
– Pour the Yakult one at a time, then add a scoop of ice cream
– Blend until everything is mixed.
– Add a scoop of ice cream on top before serving.
3. Iced Lychee Yakult Drink
Lychee is a sweet tropical fruit that is full of antioxidants and is rich in Vitamin C. For this recipe, you do not need the actual lychee fruit. You can find lychee juice in your local grocery store. Ingredients: 250ml lychee juice, Ice cubes, and 5 bottles of Yakult. This drink is good for five (4oz) cups.
-Grab a large pitcher that’s good for serving.
-Pour the ice cubes.
-Pour the lychee juice and Yakult.
-Mix well before serving.
4.) Yakult Milk tea
This recipe might sound a bit weird, but it’s actually delicious and effortless. All you need is your favorite bag of tea, milk of your choice, and 3 bottles of Yakult. You can opt for sinkers like boba or pudding, but it’s totally up to you.
-Prepare a separate mug and brew your tea for about 3-5 minutes. Make sure to only put enough hot water for the tea bag to be soaked (7-10tbs of hot water). Do not fill the entire mug.
– In a different glass, pour your sinkers (optional).
– Pour the ice, 3 bottles of Yakult and the tea,
– Add your favorite milk, and mix,
– Adjust the ingredients until it satisfies your taste.
5. Melon and Yakult Soju Drink
I saw this recipe on TikTok and I say that this is a must try for all the Soju lovers out there. All you need is a Melon Popsicle, Ice, half a can of 330ml Sprite, 2 bottles of Yakult and half a bottle of Soju.
-Put ice cubes till it reaches half the glass (you’d need a big glass to avoid spilling when mixing the drink).
-Add the sprite, Yakult, and Soju.
-Use the Melon Popsicle for stirring.